House Shifting Checklist and Tips: The Day before Moving Day
Your moving out checklist should really be small the day before moving, just the last minute odd jobs. If you’ve followed all our house shifting tips, then you should be feeling relatively calm and stress-free.
Your moving out list for the day before includes:
- If you have enlisted professional packing services, your packers will arrive at your home today. So, be sure to provide clear instructions
- Assemble an ‘Essentials Kit’ with the basic needs for moving day (such as bottles of water, a first aid kit, any prescription medication, phone chargers, and so on)
- Pack a bag for each family member containing clothes for moving day, toiletries and toys for children
- Inform your removalist of any changes
- Defrost your freezer and clean your fridge
- Drain liquid from appliances such as washing machines, irons and icemakers
- Fit your washing machine with shipping bolts to prevent damage
- Charge mobile phones and place chargers in a safe place. Write important numbers down just in case you run out of battery on moving day
- Confirm with utility companies that your services are scheduled to be disconnected and reconnected
- Check your new home is clean and ready for you to move in.
Moving Day Checklist
Having moved over a million Australians over the last 70 years, we understand all too well the stresses and challenges that moving day can bring. So, whether you enlist Kent as your professional removalists, or decide to tackle moving home on your own, follow our moving day house house checklist.
Follow these Tips at Your Old Home:
- Give removal lists a detailed tour of your home, giving clear moving instructions. Ensure there is adequate access for the moving truck and point out the access points. Verify the destination address and give your contact number to your removal lists
- Make sure that ‘high priority’ boxes are easy to access, clearly marked and that the removal lists are aware of them so they can be loaded last and be the first off
- Confirm that all your treasures have been loaded onto the moving truck, by marking off your inventory
- Carry important items, such as jewelry and important documents yourself
- Leave a note with a forwarding address for any mail or deliveries.
Before you leave make sure:
- Everything has been packed
- All utilities have been disconnected and turned off
- The house is secure
- The garage door opener has been left behind
- Your house keys have been returned to your solicitor or real estate agent.
Follow these Tips at Your New Home:
- Make sure all access points are clear for your removal lists
- Explain to your removalists where you want your belongings placed—provide a copy of your furniture floor plan
- Check all utilities are connected. It may take time for your hot water to heat up if the gas pilot has to be relit
- Check the condition of all unpacked belonging before signing the inventory
- Carefully complete a condition report if you’re renting and take photos for your own records
- Check for items left behind by previous occupants. Make sure poisonous and toxic substances are removed, and the garden is safe for pets and children
- Leave your fridge standing upright for at least three hours before you switch it on. This allows the coolant gas to settle
- Make assembling your beds a priority and then unpack the kitchen, bathroom and other key areas
- Start enjoying life in your new home.